About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom of two sons, 12 and 10. I used to be an advertising manager. I love my new career and have thrown myself completely into it.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

How Long Am I Going To Keep Skiing?

This question came to me on our family's last ski trip.  My oldest son snowboards and the other skiis.  As they keep getting better and better on the slopes, I seem to be slipping further and further behind.  They are quickly getting to the point where I won't be able to ski with them and their father anymore because I won't be able to do the runs that they all can.  At that point, I will have to make the decision to either just ski alone or stop skiing altogether.

I must say that skiing is getting more uncomfortable for me - I'm feeling my age.  It seems that my legs are getting weaker each year so I get more sore now after skiing.  And those ski boots kill me!  I almost want to snowboard just because their boots are so much more comfortable!  After the last day of skiing on our last trip, I took my ski boots off (almost tore them off) and I swear each one felt like it weighed about 20 lbs.  And lugging around skis and poles while walking in these boots is so cumbersome!  At those times, sitting in a lodge with comfortable Ugg-style boots and reading a book sounds so inviting.  Although, I know there will be kind of a sad sense of loss when I can't ride up a lift chair with my sons and watch them skiing or snowboarding from behind as I follow them down the mountain.  So I'll try to keep up with them as long as possible.

I better go now - I need to do some lunges and squats.

5 comments:

  1. We haven't braved the slopes this year. We skiied last year for the first time in over 10 years and I was terrified and my kids had meltdowns. Hmmm, maybe that's why we haven't! I would still rather sit in the lodge and read and people watch!

    New follower from Blog Hop, hope you can check me out at http://1 funky woman.blogspot.com

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my blog! We are big time skiers and I have multiple posts about our adventures skiing on Cannon Mountain in NH. www.wackydads.com I do feel the age thing but can still hold my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't stop skiing! 7 months ago, I started ski jumping with my 12 year old son. I'm 44 and we both jump the 25 meter. I've always been a good skier, but this new passion has taken my skiing to the next level. I shred! I run, I do lunges and squats with my sons. I'm a better skier and athlete than I was 20 years ago. Let go of the fear and work hard-you will be rewarded.
    best!
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, doesn't sound like a very fun experience - bummer Eric, I checked out your blog and you guys are definitely skiers - good for you. Natalie, you've got to be kidding me! Jumps - really? Wow, well we might be going up in a few weeks and I'll take yours and Eric's encouragement and try to push myself a bit, without ending up in a hospital :)

    Megan and Eric, I'm now following you. Natalie, do you have a blog. I can't seem to find it. I'll follow you if you let me know where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for participating in my Wednesday Blog hop! Following you now!

    ReplyDelete