About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom of two sons, 12 and 10. I used to be an advertising manager. I love my new career and have thrown myself completely into it.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Now the Room Mom Activities Really Start

Now I really start the experience of being room mom in both my sons' classes for the first time.  We have a number of parties and activities happening next week.  The fifth graders have a field trip on Monday, a DARE graduation on Thursday and something happening on Friday for Halloween (although we can't mention Halloween, so we call it a Fall party or celebration).  All the fifth grade classes are supposed to plan these activities together so another room mom wants me to call her this weekend and somehow I guess we'll all get this figured out in the next few days.  If you don't know what DARE is, it is a program where a police officer comes to the fifth grade classes twice a week to teach them about the dangers of drugs and alcohol and to also talk to them about bullying, internet safety and violence.  Next week the whole school will also be participating in DARE week, where all the teachers will touch on these subjects during classtime and they have assemblies for the children.

For the third graders, they have a field trip on Thursday and a Fall party on Friday.  In previous years the classes have just planned their own parties but this year the teachers thought it would be a good idea for the room moms in all four classes to try to plan the parties together.  So we got together this morning to share ideas.  We won't be doing exactly the same thing in each class and each class will hold their party whenever it works best with their schedule, but the treats and activities will be similar.  So now I'll just coordinate with the other room moms in my son's class regarding buying supplies and figuring out who can volunteer at the party.

So next week will be a very busy week and we'll see how it goes.  It looks like it will be a lot of fun, though, and right now nothing is exactly overlapping - I hope it stays that way so I can attend each class's party.

No comments:

Post a Comment